Thursday, December 2, 2010

Beeeeeer!

Two posts in one day? No one can live at that speed!

So, I brewed my first batch of beer two weeks ago, thanks to a great deal on Groupon that finally kicked my butt into gear. $40 for a complete brew kit and a recipe kit was too much to pass up, given that the beginner equipment kt is usually $80 and a recipe kit usually runs ~$30 for a five gallon batch. It's an Irish Stout, which I'm led to believe is more or less a Guinness clone. It's been sitting in fermentation for 2 weeks and smells like beer. I'm bottling it tomorrow. It appears I haven't entirely ruined everything yet, so keep your fingers crossed. You may have a sixer of moderately drinkable homebrew in your Christmas stocking.

I have to say, for as much as I read leading up to doing the brewing, it didn't really click for me until I actually did it. Now it makes total sense. Next up, I'm planning on doing a strong Belgian witbier, with two-stage fermentation and everything. Here's hoping I don't blow up the apartment - I don't think my $300 deposit will cover it.

No comments: